Managing Infection Outbreaks
Aged care providers must maintain rigorous infection prevention and control policies.
Policies should allow staff to implement the necessary precautions quickly once an outbreak is confirmed.
Precautions to take during an outbreak
In the case of an outbreak, staff should follow these measures at a minimum:
- Reinforce hygiene and cleaning measures
- Deep clean the entire facility
- Introduce a regime for frequent cleaning of all common touch points in the facility
- Isolate any infected consumers
- Consumers are to remain in isolation until they are 48 hours clear of their last symptom
- Increase observations of isolated consumers
- Feelings of loneliness are likely to increase during isolation
- Increase observations of consumers not in isolation
- This will help staff identify new cases of infection promptly
Infected consumers may require different care as they recover:
- Monitor their intake of liquids to ensure they do not become dehydrated
- Make alterations to their diet if required
Postpone visitors as well as outside trips, new admissions and readmission from hospital.
This measure ensures that:
- New consumers admitted do not catch the infection
- The wider community is not exposed to the infection
- The infection is not brought back into the facility again by a visitor
Documenting Infection Outbreaks
All elements of an infection outbreak must be documented comprehensively.
Staff must document:
- When symptoms started
- Measures taken to prevent the infection spread
- Care given to the consumer
In AutumnCare the Infection Notification Form prompts staff to enter detailed notes.
A centralised record allows Management to monitor the outbreak.
This information can be collated manually each day, or, collated automatically using the AutumnCare Dashboard.
Here real times updates make it easy to track infection outbreaks and respond to changes as they occur.
Communication with families
Infection outbreaks can be communicated with families via phone or email.
With AutumnCare, alerts can be sent instantly to families using our family communication app.
Contact us if you’d like to find out how AutumnCare can help you better mitigate infection outbreaks.
Use the form below to download a comprehensive guide on what we’ve covered in this blog series.